Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

12 Toddler Chores

I love free child labor! (That's a joke.) But I think having my toddler help out with chores is a great idea for three reasons. One, it is a good thing for him to learn to help contribute to the family and be proud of doing so. Two, these are just good skills for him to learn how to do physically. Three, some chores he does help with really are helpful. I put together a list of 12 toddler chores in three categories.

The Actually Helpful Chores

1. Help with switching laundry loads. I hand him the wet clothes/diapers and he throws them in the wash.

2. Picking up toys.

3. Wiping off his high chair tray.

4. Throwing away dirty disposable diapers.


The Somewhat Helpful Chores

5. Help putting silverware in the dishwasher. He still gets derailed and tries to unload it too.

6. Help unloading the dryer. Sometimes the laundry goes from dryer to basket to floor to be stomped on.

7. Taking the garbage out with daddy. Eh, not helpful but it's still him feeling helpful which is important.

8. Flushing the toilet. Again, I can do this myself but it makes him feel helpful.


The Mostly Unhelpful Chores (These chores do slightly more harm than good;) )

(Let me preface this section by saying that I'd totally not let him "help" with any of these if he didn't feel so proud of himself)

9. Sweeping. That broom can be a deadly weapon.

10. Making the bed (more like climbing under the sheets and laughing.)

11. Folding dish rags. These puppies usually end up wadded up on the floor.

12. Holding cans and things in the cart at the grocery store.

Those are the "chores" I have my two year old help with. Do you have your kids help out around the house? How old are they and what do they help with? Share in a comment below.

3 comments:

  1. So cute! Love this list. I have a 17 month old who follows directions better than my 9, 7 and 5 year olds. Of course, everything is fun and new to him. He loves to "help" with laundry and the dishwasher, but, cute as it is, I'm not crazy yet about his kind of "help." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I couldn't agree more! It's such a "bless your heart" situation. Thanks for the help but mama wants to do this by herself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I see your son, I just think he is the cutest damn thing. So so precious.

    ReplyDelete