Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Declutter Game: Official Rule(s)

One of the biggest housekeeping challenges I face is keeping everything straightened. There are always toys EVERYWHERE (toys multiply on their own, just fyi). Between socks and books and kid stuff and jackets, etc., I've been playing a new game to keep it straightened. Here's how it works:

The Great Decluttering Game

Official Rules:

1. Whenever you see a potential break in a fun task, take it and pick up 50 things. If you're catching up on Project Runway, for example, pause it on commercials and pick up 50. If you're playing a super rad round of Legos with your son, pick up 50 things as soon as he moves on to the next toy. If you're drinking a cup of coffee and reading Pride and Prejudice, STOP and pick up 50 things when you're done with that chapter.

That's it. Just do it! Now here are some notes about possible rule modifications you might want to think about:

1. Maybe you don't need to pick up 50 things. That's a lot over the course of the day. Some days things are just less clutter-y, so only 10 things are necessary. Or maybe you want to do 100 things on five breaks and then be done for the day. Number this thing however you want/need to! One thing I occasionally do to switch things up is start at 100 things, then on the next break I do 90, then 80, then 70, all the way down to 10. I may or may not start over.

2. Involve your little ones. One thing we're really working on with Hat Boy is getting him to help out with little chores. I'll post more about that later, but in the context of the Declutter Game, I have him pick up 5-10 things on my breaks. We count it out too so it's a little educational. Multitasking!

3. What counts as a thing? I count big things and small things alike toward the number of things. If I'm cleaning the kitchen, for example, a fork is one thing. However, so is mopping the floor. It all evens out. You can make as many crazy rules as you want, just so long as you're decluttering. 

That's the whole game! I really enjoy how much I get done during the day when I do this, and I still get to do all of the enjoyable things I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment